Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Book Review: On Writing Well

On Writing Well by William Zinsser

Clarity. Simplicity. Brevity. Humanity. Those are the four attributes of good writing that Zinsser promotes and teaches in this classic book on writing.

The book is structured into four parts. Part one, Principles, covers fundamental topics like simplicity, clutter, style, words, and usage. In part two, Methods, Zinsser teaches how to structure a coherent story. Part three, Forms, provides advice on writing interviews, travel stories, technical articles, business communications, and other types of writing. Part four, Attitudes, discusses common feelings and decisions during the writing process. Throughout the book, Zinsser uses examples to illustrate and reinforce his points.

I really liked this book and agree strongly with Zinsser's values. A lot of modern writing is long-winded, complex, and content-free. Simple and clear writing is not only more effective but also more enjoyable. I've always tried to use a simple, direct writing style. I'm eager to apply the book's advice to further improve my writing.

I was greatly encouraged by many of Zinsser's comments on the writing process itself. For example, I consider myself a slow writer. I often spend a lot of time revising my writing to get it "just right". Even simple things like emails and blog posts seem to take an excessive amount of time. I frequently feel insecure about this so I was glad to read the following,

Writing is hard work. A clear sentence is no accident. Very few sentences come out right the first time, or even the third time. Remember this in moments of despair. If you find that writing is hard, it's because it is hard.

Similarly, I was inspired by the following comment in the chapter "Enjoyment, Fear, and Confidence",

Living is the trick. Writers who write interestingly tend to be men and women who keep themselves interested. That's almost the whole point of becoming a writer. I've used writing to give myself an interesting life and a continuing education. If you write about subjects you think you would enjoy knowing about, your enjoyment will show in what you write. Learning is a tonic.

I started this blog to learn by writing about my many interests. I find that explaining a topic often leads to deeper insights. I hope that writing and blogging will help me to continue learning and leading an interesting life.